Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Rained Out


Received .3 inches of rain yesterday.....A LOT, considering when I went to bed at 11:00 Sunday night there was a 30% chance of .1 inches or less.

Here are a couple pics of my 12 acres that I got planted. Seed is just starting to swell and the cold rain was the last thing it needed.The field is pretty soggy and it will take at least two days before I attempt to plant again. My biggest problem now is trying to decide whether to rework the rest of the field or not. The rain cooled the soil down and took a lot of the air out of it by saturating it. A fellow farmer told me his experience is"if they decided not to rework a field after a rain, it cost them 10 bu. of corn per acre come fall." That's a lot of yield, but it takes a lot of time and fuel.....I figure the soil finisher costs me $15 dollars per acres to run over my ground.
Time will tell what I decide to do, but the forecast may make the decision for me. (More rain in the forecast for Wednesday)

No comments:

Post a Comment