Sunday, April 17, 2011

The start of another crop year......wont start anytime soon.

This time last year I was 1/4 done with corn, though that was very unusual, I think the fact that this year we are over a week away from planting is beginning to get worrisome. I have never had fond memories of planting corn in May. (2008 was my worst corn yield ever)

Saturday morning I woke up this wonderful (not) sight. Around and inch of snow was accumulated, and though it melted quickly, it did not do the soil temps any favors.


For 4" soil temps in Iowa I use this website.....



or http://extension.agron.iastate.edu/NPKnowledge/soiltemphistory.html if the link doesn't work
Soil temps need to be above 50 degrees and have a good forecast before planting corn. I still have bad memories of the May 10th frost last year.....and do not want to relive that.

This week I will be hauling corn and maybe picking some rock if it dries out again....but that looks doubtful.

No comments:

Post a Comment